The $6 billion global market for double-sided tapes is poised for strong expansion through 2025, according to the Freedonia Group. In fact, the analysis forecasts global double-sided tape demand will grow five percent per year to 2.6 billion square meters in 2025.
Double-sided tapes typically include three components: backing, pressure-sensitive adhesive, and one or more release coatings.
Boosting growth prospects, double-sided tapes continue to gain popularity over other fastening systems due to their greater strength and ability to:
- Reduce potential mess caused by adhesives
- Seal along the entire length of a seam, preventing leakage
- Reduce stress points by evenly distributing the seal
Such advantages and improvements in double-sided tape strength and performance allow them to replace conventional adhesives and fasteners in certain structural bonding applications, including for automotive and aerospace assembly and telecommunications.
The current advances are driven by:
- A rebound in manufacturing activity and an acceleration in building construction in higher-income regions such as North America and Western Europe, where tapes are already used in a wide variety of applications
- Increases in healthcare spending worldwide, as double-sided tape is used for the attachment of devices and sensors to patients as well as for wound care
The markets covered in this report include manufacturing (including for appliances, electronics and electrical equipment, medical devices, motor vehicles, and other transportation equipment, packaging and printing products, personal care products), building and construction, healthcare and medical, as well as other markets.
For markets, a given tape is included in the application in which it is used. For example, manufacturing tapes include double-sided tapes that are used in joining, sealing, protecting, and mounting various components.
When this product is packaged for sale (such as an appliance being placed in a box), this is considered to be the packaging and shipping market.
The Freedonia Group study analyzes the global double-sided tape market by market, region, and country. Historical data are provided for 2010, 2015, and 2020, with forecasts for 2025 and 2030.