Welding has long been used in applications that require a secure joint. However, today there are more options. And, depending on the application, today’s manufacturers have several strong reasons to consider a proven alternative — direct-tension, maintenance-free HuckBolts from Howmet Fastening Systems, a global provider of engineered metal products..
A HuckBolt is a two-piece fastener that consists of a hardened metal pin and a metal collar that swages into the grooves of the pin, forming a specific, measured clamp force to hold assembled parts together.
The Huck installation tool grips the pintail of a HuckBolt and then pulls to close the gaps in the materials being joined. Inside the nose assembly, a hardened-steel, conical-shaped anvil is then forced down the collar to progressively squeeze, or swage, the collar material into the grooves.
This direct metal-to-metal contact of the collar swaged into the grooves of the pin eliminates the loosening effects of transverse vibration.
- Often installs in under two seconds
- Consistent, high-clamp force
- Certified maintenance-free joints
- High shear, tensile, and pin strength
Fastening with vibration-resistant HuckBolts instead of welding delivers five key benefits:
1. Safety. Welding can interfere with worksite safety, organization, and cleanliness.
2. Simplicity. HuckBolts are easy to install and require a minimal amount of training. The Huck system only requires a single trigger press to deliver high, consistent preload. No operator discretion or adjustment required.
3. Speed. A HuckBolt can be installed in as little as two seconds due to the short time required to apply the tool to the pin and initiate the installation cycle.
4. Savings. HuckBolts don’t require costly, certified labor to install. A quick visual inspection is all it takes.
5. Structural integrity. Huck is known for a high-level of vibration-resistance, creating semi-permanent joints that will perform in extreme conditions for years to come without the issues of weld fatigue.
Tell Us What You Think!