Hexion, a global producer of adhesives and performance materials, announced the release of its global Sustainability Report, “Building and Protecting the Future Using Innovative Science Today.”
The report highlights Hexion’s progress against its environmental, social ,and governance (ESG) initiatives while providing expanded metrics and disclosures aligned with key sustainability frameworks.
“Hexion remains committed to building a more sustainable future and achieving the highest standards of health, safety, security and environmental performance for our products and operations,” said Michael Lefenfeld, president and CEO. “Our latest sustainability report highlights our ongoing strategic initiatives aimed at serving as a responsible corporate partner in the communities where our associates live and work, while helping customers make products that are stronger, safer and cleaner than before.”
Highlights from the report include:
- In 2022, Hexion realized a 15% absolute reduction of Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, which are direct and indirect greenhouse emissions from operations and consumed energy, against its 2017 baseline. This was accomplished through a robust Energy Management Program focused on lowering energy use and reducing operating costs, as well as investments in renewable energy, such as the installation of solar photovoltaic panels at its Brisbane, Australia location.
- As part of its new product development initiatives, ArmorBuilt Wildfire Shield offers a durable, fire mitigation safeguard for securing critical infrastructure or other building materials. Merging fire science and smart materials, Hexion’s ArmorBuilt Wildfire Shield instantly swells and seals around the pole to create a protective and effective heat insulation barrier. This material already protects more than 100,000 utility poles in the field today.
- The company’s Supplier Sustainability and Responsible Sourcing approach results in improved logistics modes, payload optimization, and lower environmental impact. In 2022, these programs eliminated approximately 14,000 truck shipments and 3.9 million miles of transportation from the roads. In addition, Hexion works with more than 40 EcoVadis-rated suppliers, accounting for greater than 50% of its annual procurement spend.
- Hexion’s philanthropic support centers on several key pillars, including Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Education; Basic Needs; Health; and Social Justice. In 2022, the company donated more than $480,000 in corporate charitable contributions while associates globally logged more than 2,200 volunteer hours.
- The company demonstrated its ongoing commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion by leveraging and forming new Business Resource Groups, where associates work voluntarily to improve inclusive engagement with fellow associates on special interests or commonalities. The Company also expanded its Supplier Diversity initiatives and continued to support the Future of STEM Scholars Initiative (FOSSI), the chemical industry’s collaborative equity, diversity, and inclusion initiative aimed at creating pathways for more underrepresented groups to enter and succeed in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers in the chemical industry.
- Earlier this year, Hexion was named as a recipient of the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for Sustained Excellence in Energy Management by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program. The Sustained Excellence award is the highest honor bestowed by the ENERGY STAR program. It is awarded to ENERGY STAR partners that have made a long-term commitment to fighting climate change and protecting public health through energy efficiency and have demonstrated leadership year over year.
“Our sustainability strategy builds on the steady progress we’ve achieved, and we are focused on continuous improvement,” said Stephanie Couhig, senior VP, Environmental Health & Safety and Chief Sustainability Officer. “We start with our steadfast dedication to operating our plants safely and being good stewards of the environment while also minimizing the impact of climate change by driving reduction in our greenhouse gas emissions. Innovation remains key to our long-term success as we’ve also committed that all new products will incorporate sustainable attributes by 2030.”
Since 2021, Hexion Inc. has been committed to the UN Global Compact Corporate responsibility initiative and its principles in the areas of Human rights, labor, the environment, and anti-corruption.