Nylok, a provider of resin, adhesive, and lubricant coatings for threaded fastener applications, offers NYSHIELD — a coating that prevents galvanic corrosion between steel fasteners and extremely lightweight materials.
NYSHIELD has minimal tension loss (even up to 150° C), exceptional chemical resistance, and adheres well to most substrates. Simply apply NYSHIELD uniformly to the steel fastener surfaces that contact dissimilar materials, and it works to shield and protect the least noble material.
In fact, it also protects steel fasteners from galvanic corrosion in high-risk material combinations, including:
- Carbon fiber
- Chrome plating
Here are some additional benefits of using NYSHIELD:
- Provides exceptional galvanic corrosion resistance (steel fasteners with magnesium or carbon fiber substrates)
- Provides general corrosion protection (15+ year vehicle life simulation)
- Coating Uniformity: typical thickness is 50 – 75 microns
- No interference with HEX or TORX drive
- Low tension loss at elevated temperatures (150°C)
- Adjustable Coefficient of Friction (typically between 0.10 – 0.16)
- Excellent adhesion
- Exceptional chemical resistance