That’s a wrap! Fastener Fair USA put on another successful event, this time at the Huntington Place in Detroit, Michigan, May 17-19. As one of North America’s fastest-growing trade shows for the fastener industry, Fastener Fair is living up to its name — doubling its pre-registration this year and hosting more than 200 exhibitors.
The event is currently the only local exhibition dedicated to the full fastener supply chain, which includes mechanical and design engineers, purchasers, wholesalers, distributors, and OEMs.
This year, show-goers had the opportunity to connect via a unique Speed Networking Program. Exhibitors and attendees were personally matched before the event, with appointments set to meet in person in the Speed Networking lounge on the show floor. This made connecting easier than ever.
Now we’re already looking forward to next year’s show, which is set for Nashville, Tennessee, May 16 and 17, 2023.
But first, here are just a few of the notable offerings from this year’s exhibitors…
1. The inspection technology. Today’s stringent quality-control standards for fastener faults mean high-level inspections are a must. Attica Automation, which is dedicated to solving tough inspection challenges, has designed the Adaptive Eddy Current to meet that goal (and easily integrate with the Attica Vision software).
Eddy Current Testing is an electromagnetic technique used on conductive materials to detect several conditions. It’s a non-contact procedure, unaﬀected by the presence of oils, paints, or coatings on the test specimen. This greatly reduces prep time before inspection. The Eddy Current is also fast and, if used in the correct material-handling system, is ideal for high-volume sorting of parts for ﬂaws or material anomalies.
2. The coating system. Infasco, a manufacturer and distributor of threaded fasteners and forged steel parts, has developed a unique coating system for tension-control and hex structural bolts, which surpasses the performance of mechanically galvanized coating.
Testing shows that the extended corrosion resistance of the INF3013 achieves 1000 hours of salt spray, which is at least twice that of mechanical galvanize. What’s more: this coating system cannot generate hydrogen embrittlement. It also accepts paint.
3. The welding manual. You might know Buckeye Fasteners Company for its supply of fasteners and custom components. Or, maybe you know them as the sole distributor of Ohio Weld Fasteners, manufactured exclusively by The Ohio Nut and Bolt Company. However, Buckeye Fasteners also specializes in welding expertise, offering a Welding Manual for those fortunate enough to land a copy. The manual covers welding basics, including how to set up a press welder, recognizing and eliminating faulty welds, when to use spot weld fasteners, and more.
4. The anti-vibration tape. ND Industries, a solutions provider for locking, bonding, and assembling fasteners, is a family company well-known for its threadlockers, sealants, epoxies, and more. It now offers VC-3 Tape Instant Fastener Locker, a patent-pending anti-vibration compound designed to prevent fastener loosening. Simply stretch and wrap VC-3 Tape around the threads of a fastener and it’s ready for immediate use without drying or curing time. It’s that simple.
After installation, a fastener wrapped with VC-3 Tape can be adjusted, removed, and re-used up to three times. Industrial applications include heavy equipment, assembly lines, machine guarding, HVAC, MRO, and others.
5. The measurement instrument. Greenslade & Company’s state-of-the-art fastener inspection equipment now includes the Bi-Point Internal Thread Gage — an adjustable thread-measuring instrument. It’s ideally suited for use in final or in-process inspection and can be connected to most electronic data-collection systems for fast recording and analysis of the results.
As a specific set of gaging finger is required for each thread size, the Bi-Point can be changed from one thread size to another in fewer than three minutes. There are two gage frame sizes. The smaller one covers from #10 through 2-1/2 inches (M5 – M60), and the other covers 2-5/8 through 5 inches. The Bi-Point meets ASME 21, 22, and 23.
6. The customized parts. If you need customized pins, spacers, or compressions limiter, Vogelsang Fastener Solutions (VFS) is a go-to global manufacturer. The specialist in metal-forming technology also offers several “specials” to enhance its metric product line — including flared and headed tension pins, circumferential bevels with slot edges or wave tips, and other special shapes and features.
Additionally, VFS has a full-line stocking program with the most popular product sizes in a variety of raw materials. For example, it stocks slotted tension pins, rolled spring pins, and tension bushings ready for same-day shipments.
7. The lock washer. The HEICO-LOCK Combi-Washers enable fast and simple assembly, making them ideal for challenging installation. These reusable lock washers from critical parts provider, HEICO, offer easy mounting and permanent connection via inset tabs. They can be combined with all commercially available bolts. Available in steel or stainless steel with narrower and wider contact areas, the HEICO-LOCK Combi Washers can also be supplied completely pre-assembled on request.
8. The sealant. NYLOK is a value-added solutions provider of resin, adhesive, and lubricant coatings for threaded fastener applications. Its NySeal 2.0 allows a more consistent tightening strategy for fasteners because the material does not squeeze out of the joint or application. This eco-friendly product maintains integrity after multiple installations, offering strong adhesion to metal and plastic fasteners. It seals under high pressures and ensures exceptional chemical resistance. In fact, its shelf life is indefinite. Plus, it’s sulfur and peroxide-free with no outgassing.
9. The lockbolt system. Fastener supplier, Goebel Fasteners, has a clever new T304 stainless steel lockbolt system, the G-Grip — made to save installation time and reduce the inventory typically required of standard parts. The G-Grip can replace up to 14 sizes of the classic six-groove locking fastener systems, in steel, stainless steel, and aluminium. It’s also highly resistant to corrosion and vibration.
The G-Grip is ideal in applications that need an extensive grip range and where a consistent flush pin-break to the collar is ideal. It features a flush breaking pin and multi-grip design, offering an efficient installation process. The G-Grip easily replaces ordinary bolts and nuts with time and cost savings.
10. The parts counter. Advanced Poly Packaging’s UCS-2400 UltraCount Scale is a three-in-one system that includes functions never before combined in one machine. It’s a vibratory parts counter, check-weigh scale, and a net-weigh counting scale.
As a parts counter, the UCS-2400 includes a bulk supply hopper, high-speed stainless-steel bowl, V-track belt for parts separation, a high-speed optical frame, and batch assembly. The added check-weigh scale ensures the correct batch count with an auto-correct sequence for undercounts. The net-weigh scale is ideal for larger batch counts. Recipe management allows for fast changeover from one mode to another.
Got a new product or service you’d like to share with us? You don’t have to wait until next year’s Fastener Fair. Write us at fasteners @ wtwhmedia.com